Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Be careful what you wish for...

Ok… um… ya know how, just a few entries ago I was complaining about how jobs, and uh, especially MY job, was uh… overrated?

Yeah, well… a funny thing happened on the way to the blog yesterday…

And now, um… that job’s not really a problem anymore. You see, I was laid off… terminated… or, to paraphrase The Emperor’s New Groove:

“I was let go… my department's being downsized… I’m part of an outplacement program… they’re going in a different direction… they’re not picking up my option. Take my pick. They've got more!”

Yes, I was duly informed that yesterday would be my last day in their employment…

So alas, here I am back on the job hunting trail… albeit with a mixed set of feelings. On the one hand, I feel like dancing to “the hills are alive with the sound of music” while screaming “free at last, free at last… thank god almighty, free at last!” I want to run through the streets and proclaim my joy to the mountaintops… No longer will I have to do uninspired work that I can’t support wholeheartedly while trying to make nice with people who arguably know less about the business than I do (and lets be honest… I really don’t know that much).

But on the other hand, there’s another distinct part of me that’s more like “heeeaaaaayyyyyyyy…. whatchoo talkin’ bout Willis?” After all, no one likes being told they’re not wanted anymore… even if (or especially if) the words are being delivered by two people who could probably be outwitted by a piece of luncheon meat.

Now, by their words, I wasn’t fired… their business is slowing down, and they can’t afford to keep me on staff. But that being the case, I have a sneaking suspicion that if new accounts fell from the sky in great numbers, crushing all the surrounding agencies, and they were the only ones left standing to pickup the pieces and therefore happened to stumble into a wealth of new business… well, let’s just say I wouldn’t expect a panicked phone call from them telling me what an egregious error they had made in letting me go.

I was good though… I didn’t burn bridges. And as much as I would have liked to have emptied the vault of complaints and grievances I have amassed over the past year, I decided to forgo the frustration of trying to convert it into language that they would understand… Is it even possible to convert the phrase “ignorant, insecure, male-chauvinistic arse-orifice with a god complex” into a series of monosyllabic grunts? Yeah, that’s probably a little excessively bitter… but hey, I didn’t even go INTO what I think of the “talents” of the VP, and besides, what are they gong to do… fire me?

Anyway, no self pity here… I’m actually kind of excited. It’s a chance to look for something new… something different… something more exciting... and if I have to eat a few ramen noodles in the meantime, so be it. For now, I’m going to make the most of my current situation… who knows, maybe I’ll write a song today… maybe I’ll clean, um, something… maybe I’ll just go downtown and laugh at all the people who actually have to work today… hey, all I’m sayin’ is I’ve got options… my schedule is suddenly WIDE open… and in the immortal words of another character from The Emperor’s New Groove, “Squeaker squeak squeak squeakin'.”

No comments: