Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Politically incorrect perishables...

Being a reticently rotund individual myself, I understand perfectly the longing for new forms of fatty foods and sweeter treats. But that being said, there is such a thing as common sense, so when I turned on the food network recently and witnessed a man deep-frying a hot dog (in the bun no less), it was not without some surprise that a single thought occurred to me…

“This is most ingenious thing I have ever seen!”

Common sense be damned…

Sure, by this point in my life I’ve heard of deep fried Oreo’s, deep fried Mars Bars, and even deep fried Nutter Butters… And they were impressive once, but now, as far as I’m concerned, the people who came up with those are nothing but amateurs.

No… this man… the guy I saw on the tee vee… he was a true genius.

And he didn’t just stop at the hot dog no siree bob… he also went so far as to deep fry cheesecake – creating an industrial-strength artery buster that I can only assume causes at least a 13% blockage simply upon being smelt.

(smelt? smelled? smellindid? whatever… I like smelt… so what if it sounds like a welder came in extracted iron ore from someone’s superior vena cava… that’s probably not all that far off anyway)

But the final stroke (and I do mean stroke) of genius this culinary pioneer came up with… the veritable piece of resistance that this guy tempted fate by creating was the battered and dipped, deep-fried macaroni and cheese.

That’s right… Macaroni and cheese!

I don’t even LIKE macaroni and cheese, and this brought a smile to my face. He grabbed a handful of the yellow gooey mess, cupped it in his hands like a 4-year-old making a snowball (kinda gives new meaning to the old adage “don’t eat the yellow snow”), and then proceeded to roll it in bread crumbs and dip it in batter, before finally dropping it into a vat of boiling oily goodness.

That my friends, is the kind of “out-of-the-box” ingenuity that’s going to get us to the moon someday.

1 comment:

Wraar said...

I'm so glad we don't own a deep fryer...